Tuesday 3 March 2009

Bugger!

From yesterdays post you can see that things have been picking up nicely, that is until I was in Milton Keynes today taking a neighbour to and from hospital. We went to leave this morning from home but her car wouldnt start so we hopped into my van and took that instead. We just made it on time and she had her bak treatment. After an hour we are heading home when the clutch arm on the van gave up the ghost in the middle lane of a very large and busy roundabout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there I was directing traffic in my hi viz top nearly getting run down several times, on the phone to the police explaining we were a danger to other road users whilst my neighbour is on her phone calling the RAC to come and get us. The traffic wombles turned up quickly and towed us to safety closely followed by the RAC who inform me the clutch ratchet is buggered. He then towed me for 20, yes 20 miles back to a garagr I use in Kettering. Now that towing lark at 60mph is not for the faint hearted and not an experience I want to repeat! Still at least we were at the garage and based upon what the RAC chap said the quote for the rachet repair was £60. Not too bad and they were going to have it done by the close of play today....apparently not. They have just called and told me that its not the rachet but the clutch arm has broken off IN THE GEARBOX! So thats now a gearbox arm replacement by the means of the gearbox being removed first and as this arm breaking was caused by a worn bearing in the clutch so thats going to be replaced as well.

So the little cash we have saved over the last couple of months is now going to the garage...£350 of it. BUGGER!! Still at least I know the owner and im sure it would be alot more if it was taken elsewhere to be done. Its just that whenever we get a little bit ahead financially something bites us on the arse.

Oh well at least everything on the van will now be replaced and we were lucky to have the money here to pay for it. I just needed to get it off my chest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment