Thursday 16 April 2009

Its been a difficult week with emotions ranging from celebration to depression.

Lets start with the celebration side of things. Our friends were over from america nad it was good to see them again. We went out for a meal and had a good catch up. Then on Friday it was off to the hotel where wifey works for the day and night. All of them then played in the pool and tried to give themselves early coronaries in the steam room. Bugger that I went and had a coffee, put my feet up and read a good book. Everyone then went and had a shower etc and met up back in our suite (yes suite nice being upgraded because your wife works there) for a bottle of wine before dinner. Now our friend was upon the grand day of his 40th birthday and none the wiser for what had been planned for him.

After our delaying tactics with wine which was not all that hard if I am honest:) we took him down to the restaurant and into a private dining room where he was awaited by 20 of his friends and family. Now I have seen people turn red before but this was a new shade all to itself! He really had no idea that we had done it and it was a great way for him to see everyone whilst he was back over on his short stay from the states. The meal was fantastic and a good time had by all so all in all a very good day.

Now the rest...

Why oh why in this wonderful England of ours does it take so long to have a funeral after someone has died??? It was 10 days from when my Nan passed away until we had her cremation. You feel like you are just getting somewhere with dealing with your grief and then its time for the funeral which just drags everything up again. All those feelings of loss and hurt come straight back up to the surface and sitting in the chapel looking at the coffin just drags your heart down into the dark depths of your soul.

Well the day was warm and the sun out. I have no doubt she had this planned as she really loved planning did our Lil :) I had the honour of being a coffin bearer and taking Nan on her last trip into the Chapel. My uncle said a few words as did I which I will put below. Family had come in from all over Europe to say goodbye to the head of the family. It was a Sad sad day but she really did get a good send off.

Now these days are always going to be sad but it suprised me just how drained I felt at the end of it. All of my four passengers coming back from Oxford were fast asleep within minutes and it didnt take me more than 30 secounds to fall into gratefull oblivion once my head touched the pillow.

We were not the only ones to be going through all of these emotions on Tuesday... our best friends were also high in our thoughts as they set off to say goodbye to thier uncle who had passed on suddenly. Strange how there is always more than one death around the same time and we are lucky to have such good friends and family for support.

So there we have a strange few days. Many highs and many lows but as always the world keeps turning and life will go on.

Good bye Nan you will always be with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment